Thursday, March 26, 2015

Feed a Cold and Starve a Fever


I get sick often. You can catch me at the beginning of any given flu season hoarding tissues and throwing down zinc tablets praying to make it to summer without getting snatched by the viral and bacteria beasts from within the mucosal underworld. But when my immune system catches a whiff of what everyone else is passing around she firmly declares, "I'll have what they're having!" (There was a brief time between the near end of high school and the middle of my college years when I only had a few sniffles, but that ended as the stresses and pressures of the real world and real decisions set in.) This, being yet another journey on the train headed back from Congestion Station through Runny Nose Way, I have decided to write.

I have recently heard the old wive's tale, "Feed a Cold and Starve a Fever." Foodie as I am, I looked it up and found that this saying was probably made up by Olde English internet wizards. Nonetheless, there is still a good reason to eat in order to beat the heat.  Here are my five favorite things to chow down on while feeling under the weather.



(1) Steamy Liquids (Teas and Soups)


Soups and teas are and will always be a go-to when you are coming down with something. (Doc said fluids...) Chicken noodle soup is the classic, but my recent favorite is Tom Yum. It is made with ingredients like lemongrass, lime juice, chili peppers, and chicken or shrimp. A quick Google search for recipes or call to the local Chinese or Thai delivery restaurant will have this hot and sour bowl of deliciousness at your bedside ready to hit your clogged taste buds and tell the flu who is the new sheriff in town. 


As far as teas, I would suggest a green tea or lemon, ginger, & echinacea blend with honey or agave. As an early tea drinker and a pro at being sick, I know that it may not really matter what warm and soothing liquid you choose to indulge in (you may or may not taste it), but any herbalist or cooky aunt will claim the magical benefits of each of these ingredients and a little magic never hurt.



(2) Beef Teriyaki / Beef and Broc (All ye vegetarians skip to #3)


Don't hang up on Thai Noodle House yet!  Although you may not be in the mood, beef is a wonder food. It is chock-full of vitamin B12 and a very good source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, seleniumzinc, and phosphorus (with a little iron on the side). You can nibble on this meal today and freeze or refrigerate leftovers for a less runny (nosed) day.  



(3) Salty Crackers and Chips


Moms everywhere have told you to gargle with saltwater to relieve your sore throat. (Excuse me I'll be right back... Ahhh.) These moms knew what they were talking about. To keep the relief coming, I also suggest munching on some saltine crackers, oyster crackers or potato chips. In addition to having something to go with your soup, some believe that the salty goodness may help in thwarting the viruses' attempts to invade the cells of your throat. Even if it does nothing, I would venture to say that you will feel better after believing that it did (Woo... Placebo Effect!).



 (4) Citrus

Chopping up lemons for your tea or chewing on some oranges is a great pastime in between hibernating and binge-watching the shows/movies you recently discovered on Hulu or Netflix (Any rom-com fans?)  If you can barely felt up to the task of turning on the Keurig to make your tea, feel free to grab the lime or lemon juice you forgot you had from the back of the fridge and squeeze a little in. Besides the shot of vitamin-C, the tangy irritation you get in your throat may also be irritating those viral invaders.


(5) Whatever else you feel like eating (?)

For me, I had a craving for oatmeal, a boiled egg, and toast. It was easy on the stomach and on the achy bod. It is my firm opinion that you (and I) will be victorious in the battle over this seasonal bug. 

Feed it to Beat it!     

~A.more

No comments:

Post a Comment